#19 To Write Better, Think More Clearly

One of the most frightening things about writing is the very act of sitting down to write. Most of the time, we have a clouded idea about what it is that we want to write and we have a vague plan for writing it down. But when we sit down to write, our minds go blank and we feel stuck.

The scenario mentioned above happens to me all the time. In fact, that is the very reason why I procrastinate on writing most of the time. I have a huge list of ideas and threads I have written down as bullet points and headlines that I want to write about in the future. But whenever I select one topic or idea and set out to write about it, I feel stuck. I don't know where to start and how to start.

Recently, I came across a tweet and it was like an eye-opener for me. The tweet essentially conveyed the idea that the clearer your thinking is, the easier it would be for you to write. I immediately understood the problem I was dealing with for a very long time. I felt a great sense of relief and I knew exactly what I needed to do to overcome my block and write more effectively.

Writing is basically thoughts and ideas put onto the paper in the form of words. So it starts with thoughts and thinking, not writing itself. What I thought was that writing is something I can do instantly when I sit down to write. I never had any idea about the significance of our clarity of thoughts and our thinking having on the writing process.

Speaking of thinking and thoughts, it is important to consider selecting topics and subjects that I have a good understanding and clarity about. Otherwise, it is going to backfire. I realize now that I made the mistake of wanting to write about things that I had very little to no solid understanding and knowledge about. Sometimes, it is important to push ourselves out of our comfort zone and try to experiment with new topics and ideas. But that is a very hard process and it is not something preferably to be pursued in the beginning phase.

Another important thing is that no matter what, we cannot gain the perfect level of mental clarity until we actually write things down. Take enough time to choose a topic that you are interested in and that you are sure that you can write about it well. And spend sufficient time thinking, and clarifying your thoughts. But don't overcomplicate it by spending too much time there.

The matter of fact is that clearer thinking leads to better writing and better writing is what leads to clearer thinking. This is like a loop. So, start with easy topics and subjects, give yourself time, be relaxed and calm. Take breaks and pauses if you feel like you are really stuck. But never stop until you finishing the first draft and editing it, and finally finishing the final piece.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#14 The Doer's Mindset

#6 Motion vs. Action